Profitable Positioning is all about trust. Make no mistake; it’s no small task to build trust in a new audience!
The average person doesn’t trust because they are full of fear. Fear of loss, fear of change, fear of what other people think of them, and fear of making a mistake, among other things. We’ve all had bad experiences with important decisions we’ve made in the past. We are all afraid of making another bad decision. So is your prospect.
Before making a choice and spending their hard-earned cash, your prospect is asking him- or herself a series of questions:
- Is this person or brand competent? (Expertise and Credibility)
- Are we similar in perspective and values? (Affinity)
- Am I being told the truth? (Believability)
- Am I being sold a bill of goods, or something that is really helpful to me? (Authenticity)
- Do I understand enough about what’s being offered? (Safety and Comfort)
- Is this the best choice as compared to other choices? (Certainty)
- Is this a fair price? (Value)
- Is this person or brand well-known and respected by others? (Authority)
The only way to build trust with your prospect is to create a relationship with them, usually over time. Since most coaches and consultants communicate regularly with hundreds or even tens of thousands of prospects every day – through email marketing, content marketing, books, lead magnets, sales messages, and advertisements – you have to keep all these variables in mind every time you write something for your target audience.